TREC Warns of Real Estate Brokerage Scam

TREC Logo
Texas Real Estate Commission

My Dad always told me that if something seemed too good to be true, it was probably not true. This simple piece of advice has kept me out of many sticky situations. I just received an e-mail from the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) warning the public about real estate brokerage scams in the DFW area. I felt compelled to pass the warning along. It is very easy to find out if a person hold a license from the Texas Real Estate Commission – you can look up any persons license number by following this link.

Here is the beginning of the warning message from the Texas Real Estate Commission:

The Texas Real Estate Commission Standards and Enforcement Services Division (TREC) has received complaints against a group of individuals and companies that have been doing business in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The individuals and companies named in the complaints represent themselves as real estate agents and real estate brokerage companies but do not hold Texas real estate licenses. Owners of real property, tenants, buyers, and investors claim to have lost large sums of money related to the group’s real estate schemes. Among other things, the complainants allege that the group takes and keeps deposits for properties over which they have no authority or no control. They allegedly do not pay rent to property owners on property they claim to manage for those owners, or take large security deposits from tenants and then keep the money. They take deposits or earnest money on properties that they claim are available for a short sale but in reality are days away from foreclosure. Apparently, much of the solicitation of potential victims has been conducted through www.craigslist.com.

For the full article, click here.

Winspear Opera House Is Nothing Short of Awesome

Winspear Interior
Magnificent Interior of the Winspear Opera House, Dallas, TX

Okay, so I’m a little slow to get excited by the latest architectural masterpiece to be erected in Dallas. Fact is, I have never understood opera as an art form or why it has such a tremendous following. So when the buzz surrounding the new Winspear Opera House began to sound, I placed all the hype on ignore. Wow, did I ever miss something great!

My wife is an enormous fan of the theater, so we celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary by attending South Pacific at the Winspear Opera House. The play was fabulous, the cast stellar, and the physical surroundings were absolutely extraordinary!! The exterior it is an impressive contemporary structure, but for my taste, it was the interior that took my breath away. The stacked vertical balconies are impressive and functional – there is no bad seat in this house. And the retractable chandelier is absolutely beautiful.

Arch Daily states “The new Winspear Opera House in Dallas redefines the essence of an opera house for the twenty first century, breaking down barriers to make opera more accessible for a wider audience. Responding to the Dallas climate, a generous solar canopy extends from the building, revealing below a fully glazed sixty foot high lobby. This establishes a direct relationship between inside and outside, enhancing transparency. Beneath the canopy, which forms an integral part of the environmental strategy – a shaded pedestrian plaza creates a major new public space for Dallas, defined by the masterplan for the Performing Arts District.”

If you have the opportunity to attend any performance at the Winspear Opera House, I strongly encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity.

A $2 Million Pizza??

The Plano City Council is set to vote Monday on a $2 million economic incentive package to woo Pizza Hut from its current Addison headquarters location to a new facility to be developed in Plano.  The new development would be part of the Legacy business park in West Plano.

Pizza Hut Logo

Time for a move?

In my opinion, this is a great play by the city of Plano.  Plano has done an exceptional job of attracting corporate headquarters to its fair city, and this is another shining opportunity.  The Pizza Hut relocation comes complete with approximately 450 high paying jobs and will provide a boost to the Plano economy.

Even though the relocation distance from their current location on the Dallas North Tollway in Addison, the move to Plano should serve as a nice stimulus to property values in West Plano.  The additional jobs will create additional residential housing demand in the neighborhoods in close proximity to the Legacy Business Park.  The move will not happen immediately.  The current lease on the Pizza Hut headquarters expires in 2010, and Pizza Hut will have to ready its new facility before making the move.

Kudos to the city of Plano who in the past year has attracted approximately 20 companies and over 4,500 new jobs in the midst of the largest economic downturn our country has faced in many decades.  No recession in Plano – keep gowing!!

For more information on this story, please see the Dallas Business Journal article – Pizza Hut Incentives on Plano’s Agenda.

Bike SAFELY in Dallas

There is an existing bike trail that circles White Rock Lake in east Dallas. This trail extends north from the lake along White Rock Creek all the way to LBJ Freeway and Hillcrest Road. The Santa Fe Trail has recently been improved. White Rock Lake is now linked by a bike trail all the way to Fair Park (be forewarned, the Santa Fe Trail ends in a cluster of warehouse buildings about a block from the entrance to Fair Park). Here’s some additional info on the Santa Fe Trail

Pages: Prev 1 2